"Charlie" Statue and Depot Street
Located in the heart of downtown and looming 16' over Nagel Park, the "Charlie" statue is a tribute to Charles Nagreen, who originated the hamburger sandwich in Seymour in 1885. The 12' statue, crafted by Sparta sculptor David Oswald, rests on a 4' base that explains the birth of the burger. Erected in 2004, the statue presents a great photo opportunity for visitors.
The huge (24' x 24') hamburger grill is on display across the street from the statue. The custom made concoction was used to cook the world's largest hamburger in 2001. The behemoth burger featured 8,266 pounds of beef. The burger was sliced and distributed to a hungry Burger Fest crowd. It was "4 ton in 2001."
Adjacent to the statue, the railroad depot reminds the visitor of the time when as many as six trains would pass through Seymour in one day. Today the depot houses an impressive model railroad layout. The building is open the second and fourth Sunday afternoon of the month during the summer.
Additional facts about the birth of the burger and related objects can be found in the community museum on Depot Street. Artifacts, pictures and displays help paint a vivid history of the community and surrounding area.
The museum is open on Sunday afternoon from 1:00 to 5:00 between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
The Veteran's Memorial, located adjacent to the museum, honors all residents who served their country.
All of the Depot Street attractions are available to the public at no charge.
Visit the HOTH site for more details about Burger Fest (www.homeofthehamburger.org)